The SJCHA is a non-profit organization dedicated to fulfilling its mission statement by providing assistance through the Housing Choice Voucher Program. 

Mission Statement

The mission statement of the St. Joseph County Housing Authority (SJCHA) is to provide decent, safe, sanitary, and affordable housing to very low-income families in St. Joseph County and to be an advocate for support programs that enhance the quality of life of those we serve.

SJCHA Jurisdiction Map

St. Joseph County Housing Authority (SJCHA) covers the rural area of St. Joseph County, IN. It does NOT cover within the city limits of South Bend or Mishawaka. The map below shows the SJCHA jurisdiction and the city limits of South Bend and Mishawaka. The off-white area of the map is the jurisdiction of the St. Joseph County Housing Authority and a voucher holder will be required to lease in that area for the first year. A SJCHA voucher holder will NOT be allowed to lease up in the green or blue areas of the map.

What is the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program?

  • The Housing Choice Voucher program was authorized under the Housing Act of 1937. The goal of the program is to provide low-income, disabled and elderly individuals with safe and sanitary shelter. It does this through the Housing Choice Voucher program.

 

  • Vouchers are portable subsidies that low-income families can use to lower their monthly rent. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) oversees and funds the program, but the vouchers themselves are administered by local public housing agencies (PHA).

 

  • The PHA determines eligibility for the program based on family size and total annual gross income. Your gross annual income cannot exceed 50% of the median income for that area to qualify. And by law, 30% of the vouchers must go to families whose income is below 30% of the median income.

 

  • If you qualify for Section 8 Housing, you’re expected to pay 30% of your monthly adjusted gross income toward rent and utilities. The remaining 70% is paid directly to the landlord by the PHA managing that family’s voucher.

Income Limits

INCOME LIMITS
PDF – 64.8 KB

Payment Standards

PAYMENT STANDARDS
PDF – 189.3 KB

5 Year Plan

5 YEAR PLAN
PDF – 421.6 KB