Frequently Asked Questions

Where am I at on the waiting list?

We will not be able to give this information over the phone or by email. You can check the status of your application at

What does the status of my application mean?

If your status says ACTIVE that means your application was selected by lottery for the waiting list. If your status says INACTIVE, that means your application was not selected by lottery for the waiting list. If your status says HOLD, it means documents have been mailed to you and need to be returned. 

If my application was selected how long will it take to get my voucher?

Notification could take up to 3 years. If your application was selected for the waiting list, you will be notified by mail when your name reaches the top of the waiting list. 

Is your waiting list open?

No. We do not anticipate the waiting list to be open again until 2025. We can not accept new applications until that waiting list opens. Waiting list opening dates will be published on this website and the South Bend Tribune. 

If I am on the program and want to move what should I do?

First review the Port Out and Moving guidelines in the Portability tab.

Then contact your Housing Choice Voucher Specialist.

My voucher is about to expire what do I need to do?

There is a 'Voucher Extension' form located in the 'Documents' tab that you must submit to us BEFORE the voucher expires. You can submit that documentation by email to 

What changes am I required to report?

Income changes, Asset changes, Household changes, and/or Deduction changes.

There is a 'Report of Change' form located in the 'Documents' tab that must be submitted to us. 

What is the difference between Porting Out and Moving?

Porting out is taking your voucher to another housing authorities jurisdiction.

Moving is taking your voucher and moving within the Saint Joseph County jurisdiction.

How can I submit my documents to you?

You can submit documents by mail, email, fax, or dropping paperwork in the dropbox outside of our office.

I just got my voucher; can I move it to another Housing Authority?

No. You must successfully lease up and live in St. Joseph County Housing Authority's jurisdiction for 1 year prior to porting out.